After running into a $3 gluten-free no-bake chocolate cookie at my local market recently, I was inspired to dig up a recipe and make my own, for a lot less than $3 per cookie. This recipe is easily adapted to be gluten-free and/or dairy-free by sourcing the ingredients based on those needs. I’ve added notes to the Ingredients list to indicate substitutions.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey’s does not list any gluten ingredients, but they also don’t state certified gluten free, so triple check!)
- 1/2 cup milk (unsweetened coconut for dairy free)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (margarine or other butter substitute for dairy free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (watch out for sneaky dairy or gluten ingredients here)
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats (Bob’s Red Mill Old-fashioned rolled gluten free are the most commonly available)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, cocoa, milk and butter/margarine.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally
- Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat
- Mix in the vanilla, salt, peanut butter and oats
- Stir until mixture is no longer shiny
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto waxed paper.
- Allow cookies to cool for at least 1 hour until fully set