A nice, creamy chicken and rice dish, this is the cut-in-half version so it’s not enough to feed an army. This volume should fit in about a 2.5qt pan, the doubled version requires at least a 3.5qt and preferably a 4qt pan.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1.5 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Touch of pepper
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped (sub onion powder for flavor)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cups Italian Arborio rice
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves, if desired
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Cut chicken breasts into 1-1/2″ pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In heavy saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes until tender.
- Add chicken pieces, and cook and stir until chicken begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice, and stir to coat.
- Add 1 cup chicken broth, and cook until liquid is reduced, stirring frequently.
- Continue to add chicken broth to keep rice covered, stirring frequently.
- Add broth, stir, and cook for a total of about 25 minutes until rice is tender.
- Add basil, cheese, and butter just before serving and stir to melt.
- Cover pot and let stand 5 minutes off the heat.